Monday, March 28, 2011

Bon Jovi and Bouncy Houses


I had no time to write yesterday because I was out celebrating the birthday of my friend Pia Johns. I must say we had a raucous good time singing karaoke at a Japanese style bar on Capitol Hill called Rock Box.  I may or may not remember correctly, but I believe some of our repertoire included Time Warp from Rocky Horror Picture Show, Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi, Poison by Bell Biv Devoe, and at some point someone was singing a song from the Little Mermaid. The amazing thing about the karaoke box is that everyone can participate and sing as much as you want. But, I did learn a few valuable and humbling lessons last night: First, I’m not very good at karaoke. Second, martinis will make you feel like you are good at karaoke. Third, it is better to be funny and entertaining than to be the girl who just wants everyone to hear her sing. To sum that all up, becoming a karaoke superstar has now been wiped off the imaginary white board where I keep a list of my hopes and dreams. I will need to replace that one with something soon because that was way up there on the top of my list. . .
It goes without saying that I spent this entire day in my most comfortable and unattractive sweat pants.  I miraculously managed to save up enough energy to take both kids to the “FUN ZONE” at Arena Sports. For anyone who doesn’t know what this is, it is a giant room filled with the most enormous bouncy houses I have ever seen. There are maybe seven or eight castle-like toys blown up, complete with slides and a gauntlet of squishy things to run around in. The best part is that grownups get in for free with their kids. I’m not sure who has more fun. I went down one of the giant slides about 10 times. My son actually told me it was time to go.  
The ironic thing about these adventures to the Fun Zone is that Arena Sports is an indoor soccer club, the bouncy houses is just an exciting bonus. I got the family membership to Arena Sports in hopes that someday I would have enough time to join the Old Lady League for beginners and get to finally play a sport for the first time in my entire life. But, time being what it is, I don’t have any for that right now. But, as a parent who wants her kids to do all the cool exciting things they can when time and money align, I enrolled both Thing One and Thing Two in Lil’ Kickers soccer classes. Thing One didn’t have any other kids enrolled in her class, which didn’t really bother her that much, but when she found out she didn’t get a new jersey with a different number on it every single class she said forget it. Thing Two never stayed in the arena for more than a 5 minute temper tantrum, so we’ll have to try soccer again later. For one week they were both very excited to wear their jerseys. That was by far the best part of soccer so far. Too bad they didn’t make it long enough to get cleats and shin guards. For now we will keep our expensive membership to the Fun Zone because that is totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment